Head of Legal Gabon
Head of Legal Gabon
Name of Employer: Assala Energy
Job Title: Head of Legal Gabon
Contract Type: Full-time
Job Location: Gabon
Assala Energy is a young and dynamic Oil and Gas Exploration and Production company with an exciting operated asset base in Gabon, firm core values and a keen sense of responsibility to our employees and stakeholders.
Our business has undergone tremendous growth in the past three years and as we embark on the next stage of our evolution, we seek to identify an exceptional individual who is ready to take on a challenging and highly rewarding role as Head of Legal Gabon.
In the capacity of Head of Legal, you will be handling a variety of regulatory, corporate, financing and compliance related legal issues and transactions, and will be leading the provision of support to HR, HSSE, CSR and Operations.
Your role will involve extensive liaison with Gabon-based Senior Management as well as regular interaction and collaboration with the UK Counsel on a variety of legal matters as well as shareholder activities including taking board minutes.
You will manage claims, disputes and litigation and will work to support the finance group in lending, hedging, account and other activities, and in particular as it relates to corporate authorizations and KYC.
In addition to operational contract support, you will provide compliance contract support to HR, HSSE, CSR and Operations, and assist in reviewing, maintaining and monitoring conflicts and gift and hospitality registers.
We seek to invest in the people who work for us, developing their skills and supporting their quest to reach their full potential while achieving our business goals safely and responsibly.
We believe that our staff are our most valuable asset and our key ambassadors. As such, we expect the highest standards in terms of results and compliance with our Code of Conduct, policies and procedures and we have equally shaped a culture and working environment to support that.
As the Head of Legal Gabon, in addition to a competitive and comprehensive remuneration, you will also benefit from:
Private Medical & Dental care for self and dependents
13th month salary
Collaborative and highly supportive working environment with enhanced degree of autonomy
In addition to excellent Legal credentials combined with practical experience in a similar capacity within the OHADA legal framework, we seek individuals who are aligned to our Values and the Assala Spirit and who can support in role modelling these across the business.
To be successful in this role you will demonstrate:
Highly driven, 'can do', attitude with ability to articulate clearly, accurately and concisely
Leadership and team playing skills by fostering collaboration across departments/ seniority levels
Uncompromising adherence to attorney-client privilege and professional work ethic
Excellent written and verbal communication skills English and French.
Highest level of integrity and discretion as a Compliance Officer
Highly tuned commercial acumen and curiosity with demonstrated ability to organize, lead and prepare for important meetings and communications.
Proven experience leading negotiations and providing counsel on commercial matters
Good understanding of strategic, technical, legal, finance, taxation and commercial issues.
- Ensure smooth efficient handling of board and shareholder meetings, including provision of adequate and timely notice to external directors and shareholders to support Assala business objectives
- Support Human Resources in case files and disputes and represent the Company at the Labour Inspector
- Maintain complete and accurate litigation and provision tracker in French and English, with close and regular communication with the Group Head of Legal, in order to monitor and inform external stakeholders as appropriate
- Ensure delivery of effective and proactive legal support and identify, develop & implement process improvement opportunities
- As Compliance Officer Gabon, ensure the highest level of integrity and demonstrate leadership by example
- Ensure that compliance matters are discussed throughout the company regularly to ensure correct behaviours and attitudes are embedded throughout the organisation as normal course business considerations
- Oversee implementation and training on the Code of Conduct
- Maintain all compliance registers and drive compliance processes and procedures and ensure and monitor their implementation
- Review annually relevant policies and procedures to enhance as appropriate and incorporate any learning and new legislation
- Provide guidance to all functions as compliance matters arise, including in integrity due diligence (“IDD”) processes from C&P, HR and SP teams, with guidance on completion of IDD and coordination with the relevant resources in Gabon
- Lead all formal internal investigations with support from HR or external counsel as agreed with the Chief Compliance Officer, as appropriate and consistent with the Internal Investigations Policy
- Regular interface with persons meeting with Government Officials, ensure broad understanding of protocol for meetings and record-keeping requirements
Desired Expertise and Skills:
Please note that in line with our commitment to Local Content, we will prioritise the review of applications received from Gabonese nationals.
How To Apply